The Forest of Enchantments



    The first book of this author that I read was 'The Palace of Illusions' which was Mahabarat in the views of Draupadi. It shed a new light to all the characters in the original epic. And also made me feel the pain of Draupadi.
    This book is Ramayan from the views of Sita. I had never read Ramayan though I know bits & pieces of the epic. This book really captures a true & unbalanced narration. We all praise Lord Ram for his dharma & his pious belief in duty. But as a husband & life partner to Sita and as a father to Lav & Kush he was unjust to punish them without cause. Each time Sita was tested I cried for her & at the end of the book I was bawling my heart out. But through all the difficult times though there was anger Sita's love for Ram never wavered. Though she realizes that "Love is found in its purest form on this imperfect earth between mothers and young children, because there's nothing they want except to make each other happy" it didn't stop her from sacrificing her life in the end.
    Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni has done immense justice to the narration & the book is gripping and makes you weep out at times. A very good read & I would rate it 5/5. A few lines from the book that made me angry & sorry for Sita.
"Rage rises up in me until my whole body is scorched, for some kinds of burning don't require fire. Not a word of love, not a word of apology for the sorrow he caused me. Not a word about the unjust and cruel way in which he sent me away. He hasn't even called me by my name."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Fruit!!!

Pasta Mania

The Long Awaited Vacation - Part 2