The King of Fruits: Mangoes

     
      Mango is not just a fruit its an emotion. My love for mangoes either raw or the juicy ripe fruit has no bounds. For Varun's 1st birthday I baked a Mango Cake. Every year when we travel from Chennai to Ngl I used to drool at all the mango farms & literally beg PV to get them directly from the farm. But so far I have not been lucky. He's not a easy person to convince & doesn't do anything in an impulse.       My friend in college taught me the trick of mixing Jaggery + sambar powder. This combo is so addictive as it has sweet, sour, taut, spicy everything wrapped in one mouthful. Before marriage I spent a year in native & in Nagercoil there are 2 mango seasons. One in Summer & the other in December. We had a few trees in our farm & one among them was the Neelam variety(Kili mooku/Thothapuri). Whenever my mom sees mango she makes pickles out of them. I fought with her & refused to share the raw mangoes from that tree. There were atleast 20 fruits & I ate them single handedly & ended up with fever for the next full week.
    With the different varieties of mango available today, i did a little research and have been devouring them right from the start of summer. I have so far tasted Mallika, Thotapuri, Alphonsa, Sindhura, Banganapalli, Imam pasand, Kesar, Sugar baby. My favorite in this are Alphonsa, Imam pasand, Kesar & Thotapuri. I had both raw & ripe Thotapuri and they are so divine. Sugar baby was a new variety for me. The fruits were in the size of a small stone with green exterior & yellow fibrous fruit inside. I enjoyed eating the mangoes as such. One of my favorites was Overnight Chia seed Mango Oats. Its was Mango heaven.
    Varun too loves his mangoes. He is especially fond of Mango yogurt, milkshakes & if i bribe him he'll eat the fruit as such. The only reason i have been able to tolerate the summer heat is because of these mangoes.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Fruit!!!

Pasta Mania

The Long Awaited Vacation - Part 2